|[View Updates][View Donations][View Comments][View Files]|
|Title:||SDL Improvement Project|
The Simple Directmedia Library (SDL) is a cross-platform library for developing games and multi-media programs. This project's goal is to add hardware accelerated alpha-blending and to fix the OpenGL support (e.g., add support for windowed OpenGL apps) to the Amiga OS 4.x SDL port.
|Bounty:||0 EUR  Out of 0 EUR originally submitted.|
|Description:||Simple DirectMedia Layer is a cross-platform multimedia library designed to provide low level access to audio, keyboard, mouse, joystick, 3D hardware via OpenGL, and 2D video framebuffer. It is used by MPEG playback software, emulators, and many popular games, including the award winning Linux port of "Civilization: Call To Power."
Amiga OS 4.x, currently has an implementation, but it suffers from a few limitations, namely:
- No hardware accelerated alpha-blending
- OpenGL support is rather primitive (it doesn't support windowed mode for OpenGL, and screen selection is poor)
Alpha-blending is used extensively by many games/apps because it can be used to composite high quality images with transparency effects, and anti-aliased object boundaries. As such, not having hardware accelerated alpha-blending seriously limits the number of feasible game ports, and hampers Amiga OS developers who wish to develop high quality 2D games/apps using SDL.
The OpenGL support also limits usability for 3D games that use SDL. Lack of window support for OpenGL applications is rather annoying, but it also has trouble selecting screen-modes, and can result in unstable applications.
This project's goal is to address the two limitations above.
- Implement full hardware accelerated alpha-blending
- Implement windowed mode support for OpenGL based SDL applications
- Fix screen-mode selection for OpenGL based SDL applications (warning: some SDL games don't check if it failed, so it's a good idea to provide a screen, even if it isn't the exact requested resolution)
- Use MiniGL 2.2's buffer management functions and to support full double-buffering including rendering to the front buffer
|Created at:||20100120 22:54|
|Finished at:||Not finished|
|Last update:||Not updated|
|Assigned to:||Not assigned|
| Task list for this project|
|ID ||Title ||Assigned ||Progress ||Updated ||Created by |
|ID ||Title ||Comments||Created at||Created by|